TR6 Fast idle

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Fast idle
From: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:16:04 -0400
Greetings all,

I'm back for more wisdom from the list.  I can not get the idle on my
1970 TR6 to drop to a normal level.  Although the tach is not very
accurate, I believe the idle to be around 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm.  All
adjustments are backed off (choke and slow idle screw). Throttle linkage
is fine.  Idles high with the linkage disconnected.

If I lift either carburetor piston about 1/4 of an inch, and hold at
that level, the idle drops to a normal level. Release the piston and the
idle jumps back up.

When I purchased the car in December of '96 it had not run for many
years, perhaps 6-8 years. When I was able to get it started it would run
for no more than 15-30 seconds before stalling.  The carbs were a mess,
so I rebuilt them (perhaps thats my problem).  The TR6 now usually
starts and runs well, except at a very high idle rpm.

I have the Haynes carburetor manual and the Bently manual, great for
rebuilding, not real good at troubleshooting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

BTW, anyone going to Bowie next weekend.

Todd Sigety
1970 TR6