Spitfire coil questions4

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire coil questions4
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 11:53:34 -24000
After a ten year sleep, and several short bursts over the last two weeks, my
'75 spitfire finally fired up and established a stable idle!

So I drove off into the sunset...yeah, right.  The idle was stable at 2500
rpm, which I was able to drop to 1200 rpm by unscrewing the idle adjusting
screws on the SU's all the way out.  I think the 8 psi fuel pressure may have
a lot to do with that; I'll be making a trip to the local speed shop to look
for a fuel pressure regulator.

After not being able to get the engine to even cough, and after checking
everything else, I finally switched to a spare coil from my parts bin.  It
worked! Fired right up.  I guess many of the previous problems I had getting
this thing going could be attributed to the bad coil.

Which brings me to my questions:  I'm not going to trust the old spare coil.
Looking in the Vicki Brit catalog I see the stock coils, plus the 40,000 volt
Mallory coil, which requires I replace the resistor wire with Mallory's
resistor.

Would someone with experience with these coils care to comment on whether
they are worthwhile?  If getting a "hotter" spark is that much better, why
didn't it come from the factory that way?

A little note on coil installation:  In the latest Moss publication I
received, they have an article on how to install the 40kv coils.  They
require a 12volt feed, rather than the 6volts fed to the later electronic
ignition cars.

Opinions cheerfully accepted.

regards,

Sean Johnson