RE: An innocent question

To: "'thefryes@iconn.net'" <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: RE: An innocent question
From: "Johnston, Leif" <leifj@proxicom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:19:42 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Thanks for the feedback Henry. (For others - '62 TR4 - just bought,
engine ran but I get no ignition now)

The car is a positve ground.(Does that mean the wires carry only
negative charge??) It has a good (12 volt battery).  A direct connection
of the solenoid to the positive lead of the battery produces no results.
I could not find the solenoid push button you mentioned so I guess that
has been changed.  The negative battery lead connects to some kind of
brown plastic connector that is cracked but seems to pass full voltage(
I didn't try and measure resitance) to the lead that connects to the
starter.

Sparks initially flew (just a couple) from the ignition switch.  I took
of the dash last night to igure out everything(okay I was dreamin) and
noticed the wires to the ampmeter look overheated implying to me that
the car has experienced shorts in the past.  I will be refinishing the
dash now beofre I put it back. So the wiring is exposed for analysis and
I probably don't want to start it without a good oil pressure plugger
technique.

In general the harnes behaves(all the lights except turn signals work)
though someone was sloppy in working on the wiring at times.  The horn
and turn signals are the only electrics that I am  aware don't work,
except of course the ignition.

It seems as though the dash was hastily replaced and some wires seem
scratched/exposed in the process.  I could not find a remote end of the
fusible link, but there was some damage there.  I had a blown 15 amp
fuse in the upper fuse position on the passenger side firewall under the
hood.

I short, I think I can patch the wiring harness back together well
enough to get it running and perhaps delayor forestall the replacement
of the harness($235 from Moss) but I am woefully short of electrical
insight on this beast.  Is there a good source?

Thanks again
Leif
'62 TR4