Re: Spitfire Max Operating Temp and Temp Gauge Correlation

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Max Operating Temp and Temp Gauge Correlation
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:33:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry H. Adams wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know what the max operating temp is, in degrees, for
> a Spitfire 1500?  I can find no reference to it in any of my manuals.
>
> Also, has anyone ever tried to correlate the indications on a Spitfire 1500
> temp gauge with actual temps in degrees?
>
> Barry H. Adams

Barry,

I've got a 185 deg. thermostat in my car with an actual electonic temp
gauge. On hot summer days, after an autocross run, my temp runs close to
200. Other than that, unless you have a cooling system problem, the temp
should run pretty close to the thermostat number.

If you need to calibrate or check your stock gauge, I'd recommend finding
a garage with a ditital pyrometer. Some units require touching a probe to
the thermo housing, some of the newer infrared units just need to be
aimed at the housing. Theoretically, since the car's temp sensor is
mounted in the thermo housing, a reading from that area should be
accurate.

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.