Re: Exhaust pipes

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust pipes
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:02:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
rgb@exact.com wrote:

> To: TRBILBO@aol.com triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Re: TR6 exhaust manifold
>
> You make some interesting points, but I've seen various information
> that indicates the opposite conclusion.  Biggest item is are we talking
> a race car running a straight 2.5" pipe with no muffler at 5-7,000 RPM
> or a street/autocross car?
>
> *******THIS IS MEANT FOR DISCUSSION ONLY, DOES ANYONE HAVE FACTS?*******

I doubt that anyone has really hard numbers for the conditions you
describe, but a _really_ worthwhile book on the subject is _The
Scientific Design of Intake and Exhaust Systems_ by Philip Smith (of all
the Autobook manuals and the _Design and Tuning of Competition Engines_
note), and John Morrison. It's an early attempt to apply scientific
measurement principles to those design issues. The book is probably
still available through Bentley's. A great engineering read.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....