Re: Whose Engines Are These Anyway?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Whose Engines Are These Anyway?
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 19:27:22 -0400
drew@pixar.com wrote:

> Just curious but if the engin in the McLaren actually made
> by Mercedes or is it an Ilmore (sp?)? I know that Mercedes
> bought General Motors interest in Ilmore which is why Penske
> runs "Mercedes" engines in CART.
>
> Drew
>
> On Jun 6,  6:39pm, John T. Nichols wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Triumph Color
>
> snip
>
> > although the McLaren-Mercedes F1 cars are predominantly silver in honor
> > of the german engine. So silver for BMWs, Audis, VWs, etc. Red for
>
> snip
>

> > JTN
> > '58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
> > '86 TVR 280i
> >-- End of excerpt from John T. Nichols
>
> --
> Drew Rogge
> drew@pixar.com
Drew,

It says Mercedes on the valve covers and the money comes from Stuttgart
but the engines are built by Ilmor in the Jolly Olde with some
engineering help from Mercedes as well. The same is true of the Mercedes
engines used by Penske in CART/PPG Cup, oh, all right, real Indy
Cars--built by Ilmor. Of course the Ford engines used by the Stewart F1
team are really Cosworths built in Jolly Olde with Ford money. The Chevy
engines used in CART are built by Ilmor also.