Re: TR4? Tranny in a TR6

To: mercierm@battelle.org
Subject: Re: TR4? Tranny in a TR6
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:19:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Murry,  welcome to the Vintage Triunph Register (VTR).  I will try to answer
your questions and will do it within your message, which I have reproduced
below.

Because I learned long ago that it is better to admit that I don't know
something (and because I realize that I don't know more things than I do
know),  I will give you an answer only if I'm sure of something.  But I am
going to send this message to the the "triumphs list" to which I and many VTR
members belong.  There are people on that list who have literally torn apart
and put together every part of our cars and who know many things which I
don't.

> I purchased a 1973 TR6 in Sep '96,  my 1st LBC.  In the process of
>  learning and restoring I  suspect that the PO installed a transmission
>  and overdrive from a TR4...  the tranny no. is CT57639.  The overdrive
>  functions smoothly in gears 2 thru 4, typical of the 'A' version.
>
>  Is this in-fact a TR4 tranny?

>From what you have told me it appears to be a late TR4 ('64) or  early TR4A
transmission.

>  There are 2 switches on top both wired into the OD switch harness.  They
>  appear to control the OD for use in gears 2-4.
>
>  What is the easiest way to modify to add  a reversing lamp switch?

The TR4A's had a reversing switch, if your transmission is a TR4A there
should be some sign of that.  If so, then the TR4A vehicle consultant (Chris
Kantarjiev) might be better able to help you.  BTW he is also on the "triumph
list".

>  I  am loosing fluid, down about a pint in about 1000 mi.  Odometer is
>  not accurate due to tires and what apperas to be a 4.11 differential...
>  the manuals indicate the '73 had a 3.7?  No puddles in the garage or
>  drive so I must be loosing fluid as I drive... mayby due to the 400psi
>  OD pump?  The OD bottom has the greatest concentration of fluid...
>  'drips forming on bolts etc.  The exaust pipe below the rear 'U' joint
>  flange is black with polymerized fluid.

LIST, please - is this a symptom for an OD problem?

>  Are the parts/seals the same for this tranny as for the TR6 series?

Don't know - anybody on the list help with this?

>  Other than the rear seal, what are other common  leak points on a TR4
>  tranny?

Been my experience that it can leak anywhere there is a gasket or even a bolt
that goes through the casing and into the inside.  Suggest that you wipe it
completley clean and then check it after a few miles (or days) for location
of the leak.

>& At what fluid loss rate should I be concerned and have it repaired?

That's a judgment call for you.  As long as you can keep it topped up you
will do no damage. The time is when you are tired of the hassle and/or can't
keep up with checking and filling it up.

>   (At my level I do not feel compentent to delve into the tranny innards)

To be honest with you - having helped rebuild a transmission, it is not
something I would particularly relish doing myself.  But there are folks on
the list who groove on that sort of thing and who, I'm sure, would be willing
to help if needed.

>  snip
>
>  Thanks in advance for your answers and comments regarding any of my
>  questions..
>
>  Murry Mercier
>  CF10027
>  Columbus, Ohio

You're welcome, I wish I had more to offer.  But I'm sure you'll get some
other responses.  BTW - if you don't know about the "triumph list," come back
to me and I'll fill you in on what it is and how to get on it.  Great bunch
of folks.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) TR4 vehicle consultant