1975 TR-6 Oil Pressures

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1975 TR-6 Oil Pressures
From: "John Di Fede"<difejo@consumer.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 97 11:15:55 -0500
     Hello all;

     I'm new to the list, so I'll introduce myself.  I'm John Di Fede,
     working at Consumers Reports (the car test people) in Yonkers NY (just
     north of NYC). I sharpened my teeth on a 1970 Spit while in college,
     but sold it because parts were too expensive (cut into my beer money).

     Currently own : 1975 TR-6 70k miles good condition
                     1973 MGB  Total restoration by me
                     1980 MGB  I'm getting around to it

     My most recent purchase is the TR-6.  I've changed the U-joints,
     springs, shocks, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt brakes, tune, etc.

     This car runs liks a shaved ape!  The motor pulls well (less shifting
     then the MG) and just hums along.  The sound out of the stock exhaust
     is sweet.

     Ok. My point.  At start up with 20-50 oil the pressure is at 90lbs.

     After 50 miles, at idle the pressure is maybe 15lbs acording to the
     dash gauge. Idiot light never comes on.  The engine shows no sign of
     excess wear no unusual sounds, and the sparkplugs are clean.

     The only thing I hear is a faint sound (rumble?) of moving parts sort
     of like an old water pump might make.

     Anybody out there ever experience this?  Would rocker arm wear cause
     this?

     Would changing the connecting rod bearings improve this condition?
     Somewhere I read where Bentley recommends changing them at 50k miles.

     I checked the oil presure relief spring length and added a small
     washer to bring the free spring length bask to spec.  This seemed to
     help.  Also the oil gauge always reads steady.  The needle dosen't
     bounce.

     I really can't believe a full rebuild is necessary at this point.

     Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     PS.  Thanks to all for oil cooler mounting advice.

     "AN ACCOUNTANT WITH DIRTY FINGERS"

     "MY VEHICLES ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE VEHICLES OF MY EMPLOYER"