Re: A/C comments

To: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: A/C comments
From: emanteno@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:59:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Carol Zingone wrote:

> I have A/C in my LBC (Sybill), and it doesnt' work.  Not only that, but
> from what I can garner, it sucks the life out of the engine, and the rag
> tops don't help keep the cooler air in.  So, I'll probably pull mine out
> in the near future, if for no other reason, than to dump the weight !

Carol,

FWIW, we used to have someone in our club that had a working a/c unit in
a 74 TR6. I was impressed with how well it worked. The output of cold
air more than compensated for the leaky top. The a/c unit didn't seem to
have much of an adverse affect on acceleration as I recall. I can
remember caravanning home from a mid summer autocross, most of us with
our tops down and all sweaty, 1 guy cool and collected. This happened at
least 15 years ago.

I didn't envy him then and I don't wish for a/c in my TR6 now. When it
is real hot out, I carry a spray bottle in my car and keep it in a
cooler, spray head set to mist. When I need a little relief from the
heat, I spray myself. Works just fine. That is how I will stay cool in
Ft. Worth next month.

The extra weight on the front end didn't help the handling of the car.
The weight contributes to a higher level of understeer (or push) than
what usually exists in a TR6. If you choose to remove the a/c unit, I'm
sure you will find someone (not me) who will want to buy it.

Irv
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL