Fuel pressure on '79 spitfire

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel pressure on '79 spitfire
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 97 7:28:26 -24000
The good news is that I've apparently solved my front carb spitting fuel
problem.  The bad news is that I've measured the fuel pressure at more than
10 psi (pegged my gage), and my "idle" is about 3500 rpm.

I've centered the jets in my SU's, dropped the jets by two turns, checked the
valve clearances, have a fuel filter just before the carbs, made the
appropriate animal sacrifices, etc....

I've a '79 engine, with the fuel pump with curved arm.

I have a .5 inch (12.7mm) spacer between pump body and the engine.

For someone out there who has replaced their pump, could you measure the
thickness of the spacer between the block and pump body?

I'm thinking that if I space the fuel pump out a little more, I can reduce
the stroke, dropping the fuel pressure into the 3-5 psi range.  It's not a
linear relationship though, so getting the proper spacer distance from
someone would be great!

regards,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire, '79 engine, '70 SU's