Re:Gas in the oil!!

To: scotty@csn.net
Subject: Re:Gas in the oil!!
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The other day Scott Paisley wrote:

<<<Man, I can't seem to get ahead of the game right now.  There is fuel in
the oil.  It's bad.  It stinks.  After just a few hours of running
and attempts to tune, I have a pint of gas in the oil.

I removed it and placed some water in a dish.  I then pumped the water
through the pump, and then plugged the output hole.  The pump stopped
pumping, and no water came through the oil section of the pump.
The question is: Is it possible or likely that the fuel got to the
oil from the pump? (even after this test?)

Or is it time to look at the carbs?  The chokes are off.  Could they
be leaking fuel down the intake and into the sump?  Where's all
this fuel coming from?  Time to rebuild the carbs?>>>>>

Scott,

I had the same problem with my 1972 GT6.  I would take the car out for a run,
get back home and check the oil and the level would climb about 1/2" or so
and had a very strong scent of gasoline!!  As it turned out, one of my float
valves was sticking open and allowing fuel to dump into the crankcase.  I
installed Gross jets in each carb (Gross jets have less tendancy to stick)
and that solved the problem.

And while you have the carbs apart, you may want to double check the float
levels.  If you go with the Gross jets, you may want to double check to see
if the float level spec. differs from the spec. for the stock jets.

Another problem I was having due to the sticking float valve was the car
would idle fine, but when under load the engine would sputter like it was
floading out, which it was.

I'm not saying that your problem isn't the fuel pump, but mine was the float
valve.

Good luck and be sure to change the oil and filter to get the gasoline out!

Scott Helms
http://members.aol.com/trmgafun/mga.html
http://www.cris.com/~jamiep/BCW.htm   (BCW in caps)