backfire: good or bad?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: backfire: good or bad?
From: "Bill Hooper" <hooper@rf.capitolweb.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:26:49 -0500
> From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
>      Is it true that "backfire" and unburned fuel in exhausts are the
>      same...the text below suggests that backfire damages the
muffler...but
>      seems to me to be a different issue/problem...

Backfiring is not always undesirable.  Cars in storage frequently have
birds or juvenile opossums nesting in the exhaust system, & backfire on
startup cremates & ejects the varmints after they are gassed.

I like to hear an occasional backfire.  It's a nostalgic sound that you
just don't hear anymore, what with computer controlled ignition, fuel
delivery, etc.  Triumphs, Healeys, & XK Jaguars have *traditionally* had a
borderline cough going hard between the gears.