RE: TR6 Engine Problem

To: "DuperSude@aol.com" <DuperSude@aol.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: TR6 Engine Problem
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 28 May 1997 14:50:13 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08484338CA89507D-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 28 May 1997 14:50:13 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 28 May 1997 14:50:13 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08484338CA89507D*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
John & Danny wrote:
   Well our 71 TR6, A.J., is almost back on the road for the first time in
12
years.  We have one problem, though. Whenever we rev the motor and let off,
sometimes we expierence a pop back through the carbs.  We think it might be
the timing but we aren't sure.  The engine is a little lean, but we don't
think that would do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
+++++++++++++++++++
I have the same problem with my Spit with twin SU HS2 carbs.  General
consensus of the list members was that older carbs lack a compensating valve
that would lean out the mixture when you lift off the throttle quickly, thus
the overly rich mixture goes "boom".  I have tried fiddling with the timing
with no success.  Finally I just got used to it and have come to like it
actually.  I get a lot of low burbling and popping on lift throttle
deceleration from higher revs, less so from lower revs (i.e., anything under
3,000 rpm).  Interesting that you note the backfire coming from the carbs,
as mine sound like they are coming strickly from the tailpipe.

Ross D. Vincenti - Costa Mesa, CA
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe