Re: fuel pump?

To: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump?
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:24:49 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Todd W. Sigety wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> My 1970 TR6 is not getting gas to the carbs.  I have checked the fuel
> line from the fuel pump to the carbs, and it is clear.  I have also made
> sure that fuel line out of the fuel tank is not clogged.  I now need to
> check the fuel line between the pump and the tank.
>
> If the fuel lines all prove to be clear, is there a way to check the
> fuel pump?  If the pump is bad, should I clean and rebuild, or install a
> new fuel pump?  TIA.
>
> Also, many thanks to Chris Bullock for the TR6 list, great effort!!!
>
> Todd Sigety
> 1970 TR6
-------------------------
Todd the age old accepted method is to use a pressure/vacuum gauge. Just
your run of the mill vacuum gauge (test gauge) from a place like sears.
I've had mine for years and it comes in handy on ocasion.

You check for (1) pressure

place the gauge between the pump and the carbs, just T into the rubber
lines. The pressure is usually 3-5 psi check the manual for sure. This
is recorded when cranking.

You check for (2) Vacuum

Insert a T  into the line between the tank and pump. Crank the engine
and you should read a certain amout of " Hg (vacuum) the amount escapes
me at the moment. Also do this while cranking.

You check for volume

open the rubber part of the  line from the pump and extend it to a
coffee can  and check for volume. this is done while cranking and their
is a usual spec. gal/qts per sec. or min. Check the manual.

It really isn't too tuff to do and takes all the guesswork out of it.

Same rules apply today but we operate fuel systems at much higher
pressures for fuel injection systems.

Good Luck

Glenn Franco

71 and 74 TR6's
(both my 74's parts car and real car had overiders and no triumph badge
on the bumper. The big change came in 75, 76 I presume)