Re: catalytic converter (long anecdotal reply....)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter (long anecdotal reply....)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 03:15:28 -0400
Michael D. Porter wrote:
> > British Car Magazine
> > featured an MGB converted to fuel injection and running a cat.
>
> Regarding catalytic converters, this conversion did not feature one, as
> I recall. Or, at least, dispensed with the O2 sensor to force the system
> into closed-loop operation, for the purposes of power, not emissions.

  I have the article here, actually. The car did have it's
original catalytic converter.

  The builder dispensed with the O2 sensor because (in his
words) catalytic equipped MGB's were supposed to be tuned
for 3% CO in the exhaust. Installing an oxygen sensor would
cause the computer to run at near 0%, where without it he
was free to fine tune to original MGB specs. (all his words, not
mine)

> thought the installation described (I received a text-only version)
> sounded a bit clunky and inelegant, as I have mentioned here previously.

  I have the article actually, it looks fairly decent. I'm not
commenting really on whether this was the most intelligent
design ever, but the engine bay looked nice after the
installation.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /