RE: standard OD on post-73 TR6's

To: "'Triumphs Digest'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: standard OD on post-73 TR6's
From: "LANOWAY, BRIAN" <Brian_Lanoway@Standardaero.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:22:20 -0500
On May 20th, Doug Matthews wrote:

>Piggott's book states that ~1973 overdrive became standard on the
TR6. I
>saw a 76 TR6 the other day that appeared not to have it. Do any of
the post
>73 owners have a comment?

My '73 (CF6985U) doesn't have an overdrive - I wish it did; especially
on those long highway drives.

Is anyone on the list able to summarize the work required to go from a
plain 4 speed to an overdrive set-up?  Is anyone aware of a North
American shop that sells reconditioned TR6 transmission/OD units that
will take the 4speed core in exchange (Rimmers appears to, but that's
a long way to send a gearbox)?  Does anyone sell an O/D upgrade kit
that includes all the necessary brackets and switchgear?  Or is
changing the rear-end ratio a more economical way to drop your rev's
at 100 kph (even though it'll take you longer to get there).  Maybe
its time to explore this topic with a resurrected thread.

Brian (like 'Red River' Terrick, I hope I never see another sandbag)
Lanoway
Winnipeg, Canada

PS: on another topic, how about we all get together and ask the
Franklin Mint to produce a scale TR6 model.  We could show through the
power of our list that there would be a decent demand for same.