Heater control valve TR7/TR8

To: JEFFAUDIO@aol.com
Subject: Heater control valve TR7/TR8
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:32:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
JEFFAUDIO@aol.com wrote:

> << Regarding a previous post last week where Dave ??? was looking for a
>   heater control valve - He found one - probably at the location posted in
>   a reply to his request.  If any one needs one and can't find one let me
>   know and I will tell you how to modify a available new one and have a
>   exact replacement.
>    >>
> Joe, Does your mod keep the inside of the car cool when the system is shut
> off??
> I'm getting tired of driving around with the heat blasting at me even though
> i've never turned it on!!!
> Jeff Lyons

Jeff,

The replacement is the exact same valve only it has a different arm on it
that has to be replaced with the original one.  there is a slight
curvature on one of the pipes but it is so slight that it doesn't matter.
 The replacement is from the same manufacturer and is for a Volvo.

Replacement of the arm is a little tricky as it requires a small spot
weld to the shaft.  Which isn't as simple as it sounds as you can't
directly ground the shaft itself to conduct the current of the spot
welder and could damage the valve.  It's probably much better that a
rebuilt one that may be available or possibly a old new one as there
wouldn't be any roughness from age in the core to damage the seals or
possible dererioration of a old new one due to age.  I have said before
that if anyone wants one I will modify one for $10 over my cost (+
postage) which will cover my getting it and I may once in awhile ruin
one. They would cost me about $50 to $60 the last time I checked.  If
anyone wants to do it their self contact me and I will give you the
details on how I did it.

If anyone has any old ones I would like to have them and modify a couple
for stock as a favor to the group to help keep them on the road.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 Tr6