Re: 74 Spit Floor Pan

To: MTI1971@worldnet.att.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 74 Spit Floor Pan
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:02:00
> My 74 Spitfire has some rust on the driver side floor pan (OK, so the
> floor's gone), and I want to replace the road sign currently pressed into
> service with the panel I bought from VB.  Once I cut the bad metal away,
> will it suffice to pop rivet the new piece in place (I'm not talking
> concourse[sp?], here) as far as body integrity goes, will it be safe?  I do
> not have a welder, so I'm hoping the answer is - just do it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> 74 Spit
> 70 Midget (Wife's)
> 60 Bugeye
> 76 TR7
> 77 TR7 (parts)

Don't do it!!!!! The floor pan does contribute to the overall
strength of the body tub and aluminium pop rivets are just not good
enough (you'd be looking at an instant fail of the MoT test here in
the UK). What you're suggesting is really no improvement over the
present road sign arrangement. Get it seam welded in properly!

Best of luck,

Jonathan

Spitfire 1500