Mystery Hole in TR6 Trunk

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Triumphs)
Subject: Mystery Hole in TR6 Trunk
From: TWALLI@vanheusen.com (Walling, Tom)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 12:50:04 -0600
Whilst (neat Brit word eh?) preparing my TR6 for British Car Week and
beyond, I noticed that a rodent had made its winter house on top of the gas
(er, petrol, sorry mate) tank.  After cleaning out the bits of straw and
carpet "fluff", I got to wondering how it got in there.  I took out the
carpet in the trunk (had to clean it anyway), and then the spare tire, and
low and behold, there were 2 good sized holes in the floor of the spare tire
pan.  There's a small-ish one in the forward part that is shown in the "big
three's" catalogs along with a rubber plug to seal it, but there's another
large one at the very rear that looks like it may have had a plate fitted to
it at some point.  This doesn't show up in any of my catalogs, so I'm
wondering: 1)  what was the purpose of this thing?, and 2)  does anyone on
the list have a spare plate to fit over it?