TR4A restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4A restoration
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:48:32 -0400 (EDT)
Hello:

I am somewhat new to the list having been directed here by the very gracious
Art Kelly. I have a 1965 TR4A - CT54531L (hence the name) sitting in my
garage and I am finally getting around to finishing a restoration started by
a PO in the late seventies and early eighties (Car purchased in 1981 or 82).
Mechanically, the car is in good shape - very strong engine (at least the
last time I ran it several years ago).
My questions are - at this stage - more in the realm of body work about which
I know nothing. I am fortunate, however, to have a neighbor who is a true
expert on restoration and welding, etc. and who is intrigued by this project.
(He has 1937 Fords etc which he does all the body work on himself.)
I am happy to say that the frame is essentially rust free. I am not as happy
to say that the body is also rust free but it is - thanks to an apparently
enormous amount of bondo or something similar in the rear at least.
The front is pretty good but I started to remove the body work for
re-painting and some spot rust treatment and I only got as far as the grille
removed. When I tried to get the "upper valance" off, I found it was welded
to two small tab-like projections on the inner fenders on each side (one on
each side actually).
First question - I had thought that Triumph bodies were basically bolted on.
Are there a lot of welded points throughout? Is this something the PO did?
Second question. As I said the rear is full of bondo - whether from rust or I
don't know but there seem to be no structural problems of any kind. The rear
is even "customized" in a way. The body work is all smoothed out with no
seams, no beading and the tops of the rear fenders slope and curve downward
as it flows back.  (This is not a surprise to me - I knew it when I bought it
but this is what I most wanted to restore.) I have a donor car in the next
stall with the rear sections in excellent condition. Here's the inquiry. My
neighbor suggests that we cut the whole rear sections out in one piece and
switch them. That is, we take the respective rear 1/2 to 1/3 off the frames
by cutting all as one piece including the floor from in front of the rear
"seat" and up just behind the striker/door posts. Does this sound viable? Is
there a better place to cut? We will then place the donor section - boot and
all - inside and out - all in one section - on the recipient frame. Comments?
While I'm on, a couple of other smaller questions.
The original paint was 19 - Piggot says this is "New White". What is the
present day equivalent of that color and where does one get it?
There is a plastic in-line fuel filter just before the fuel line gets to the
carburetors. Is this standard? I have owned Triumphs in the past and don't
rememeber any fuel filter other than the glass bowl at the fuel pump. Also,
the pictures in "Original TR" don't show one - not there anyway.
There's no doubt this won't be my last question. I've already learned - and
put to use - a lot of things I've picked up from the list. This is great.
Thanks in advance.