RE: GT6 drivetrain in a Spitfire Mk2?

To: "David Bombardier" <davidb@aynrand.org> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: GT6 drivetrain in a Spitfire Mk2?
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 11 May 1997 17:32:10 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 054E63376650A007-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 May 1997 17:32:10 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 May 1997 17:32:10 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <054E63376650A007*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
David Bombardier wrote:
[snip]
I'm a Triumph novice, but given that the engine compartment and chassis
appear to be the same on a Spitfire and GT6, is it not possible to
simply replace the Spitfire drivetrain with that of the GT6? What
problems are there? What year Spitfire (of the Mk2 series) and GT6
should I consider? What other conversions are possible? (I tend not to
like to put a different manufacturer's engine in a car.) Also, how much
more difficult is it to find parts (both mechanical and cosmetic) for
the Spitfire Mk2 than the Mk3? [snip]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello Dave and welcome.

Since you are new to the list, I'll tell you that this thread has been
explored many, many times, and from what I can tell from reading other
messages and from my own experience in doing a full blown every nut and bolt
body of resotration of a Mk I Spitfire, the general consensus appears to be
that you are better off buying a running GT6, and then dropping a Spitfire
body on the GT6 frame.  I won't go into the details, as there are others on
the list who know this particular subject VERY well (Andy?/Barry?/Others?)
but rest assured if you DO decide to do it there are lots of people on the
list who can help you iron out all the details.  BTW, it's a great list and
lots more fun than others (such as the Porsche lists I also subscribe to -
damn shame if you ask me).  Good luck with your project and hope to see you
at one of the Triumphests.

Ross D. Vincenti - Costa Mesa, CA
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe