cylinder head inspection

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cylinder head inspection
From: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bnis.net.au>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:19:07 +0900
Ladies,gentlemen & triumph owners
another possible useful?? addition to your toolbox?
I propose the use of a small dental mirror to view the interior of the
cylinder head & valves. All without removingthe cylinder head.
I have used one for about 20 years now on Fords triumphs & is an easy way of
inspecting valve seats, water in cylinders to see if its a cracked head or a
gasket, even picks up scored cylinders &holes in pistons, before you remove
the head.
When you only have one car on the road it was easier to be prepared with
enough parts to cover to job in one go.
obviously you need a small head mirror to get it in the spark plug hole OH!
and a torch to illuminate the subject.
while using mirror, only rotate engine by hand, NOT by starter motor.
Tony
Sth.Oz