FW: Gearbox/Clutch removal

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Gearbox/Clutch removal
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:45:25 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 4]

     Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:19:45 -0600
     From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
     Subject: RE: Gearbox/Clutch removal

> After several days of listening to my car sound like 10 screaming chickens
> evry time I push the clutch in, I sought advice and was told I needed a new
> throw out bearing.  I decided to replace the whole clutch while I'm in there.
>  I've got the whole thing torn apart and ready to come out but don't want it
> to end up on the floor.  Is there any hope of a semi-out of shape 30
> something manually lifting the tranny out of the car or do I need a hoist?
>  How much does the transmission weigh?  Help would be appreciated.

It is a good idea to replace all the clutch parts while you have it all apart.
I did this exact same thisng last year for exactly the same reasons (throw out
bearing seized up).

The gearbox weighs about 50-75 lbs depending on whether you have the O/D. I
could lift mine by myself once it was out of the car but I would not try to
pull it out of the car (or put it back in) by myself. I know others have posted
here they were successful and my hat off to them. I am not as confident in my
mechanical abilities, strength, perseverance etc. Get a helper.

Also make sure you pull out the seats and carpets and console and stereo and
basically the whole interior. I think you will be glad you did when it comes
time to refit the gearbox.

Next, follow the procedure in Bentley (or Haynes). If you don't have either of
these, get them (both preferably).

You will also wnat to consider the pilot bushing, rear seal (if it's leaking),
gearbox seals (if they are leaking).

Make sure the engine is properly supported for the duration of the time the
gearox is out of the car.

When sliding the gearox out of the car, be _extemely_ careful to pull it out
without resting its weight on the input shaft - this could warp or damage the
shaft and you will be facing expensive gearbox repairs as well as the clutch.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada