Re: U joints

To: Kay Matsumoto <kaymatsu@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: U joints
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 11:46:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kay Matsumoto wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm new to this list and am shocked by the amount of email! Anyway, I have a
> '73 TR6 and am replacing all the U joints in the prop and drive shafts with
> Hardy Spicer type. When they are installed with the snap rings, the joints
> seem very tight but do rotate smoothly. Is this normal? How tight should
> they be?

Ya, I noticed the same.  After you install them, rap in the yoke (not
too hard, as you can mess it up)  This will set the caps back tight
against the ring and give a few thousands clearance for grease movement
inside the main piece.  I don't think the tightness is a problem, since
any real use will settle all the parts where they need to be.

Just my 2cent.

Brian N