T5 in a Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: T5 in a Spitfire
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 07:40:41 -0700
For those of you not interested if a Borg Warner T5 will fit between the
frame of a Spitfire/GT6 you can delete this now.
    I've just determined after trial fit last night that the Borg Warner T5
will fit between the frame but will require some major work.  This is a
rather large 5sp, but is bulletproof for my application.  The mod's will
require some frame modifications, none major but will not be easily
reversible - so if you want to return it to stock condition this will not be
possible without a lot of work.  The changes require trimming and re-welding
the "flanges" on the frame but no actual frame cutting ( possibly a little
dimpling in one small area ).  As these flanges offer no actual strength,
but only provide an area for easy spotwelding as well as a convenient place
to attach mounting plates, I see no problems.  Also some modifications to
the handbrake lever will be in order. (shortening slightly).  Obviously a
new transmission tunnel will have to be fabricated, as well as new mounting
for the tranny.   A lot more work than I had hoped, but after much
consideration ( I'll never sell this car anyway )  I've opted to install it.
The benefits for me outweigh the minuses.  Looks like I'll be driving the
GT6 for a while :-)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego, CA)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)