Re: 59-TR3A Gerling Brake Qx

To: "Moody, Mark" <MOODY@burke.com>
Subject: Re: 59-TR3A Gerling Brake Qx
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 11:51:46 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Moody, Mark wrote:

> Hi gang,  I just replaced rear brake lines after 38 years of rust.  The
> prior owner had redone most but not all of the brake system.  To my surprise
> when bleeding the rear lines, both of my wheel cylinders , which were
> recently replaced by prior owner, are frozen!  I always felt that the brakes
> were pretty good, but I guess I didn't know what I was missing.  Shoes work
> fine on the hand brake.  Here is my question.  Moss Motors lists 3 different
> parts depending on serial number.  Mine should be the 5/8 bore based on
> serial numbers.  TRF lists only one part.  I guess they must interchange.
>  BUT....why would my seemingly new cylinders not be working?  Is there some
> double special secret gimmick here?  Could this lockup happen if the prior
> owner had screwed up the spring plate, locking plate and distance washers???
>  Also, my manual and parts book do not cover the Girling systems.  The only
> photo record of what things look like is in the Moss book.  Anyone care to
> share some wisdom.  Thanks Mark 59 TR3A  TS52020L

Mark,

I think any wheel cylinders you will find at the usual sources will be
of the 3/4" variety. Moss has the part numbers for all three sizes
listed, but only has the 3/4" available.

As to why the newish wheel cylinders are "frozen", did you disassemble
the brake shoes and try to rotate the pistons in their bores to verify
they are truly frozen? Could be the flex line to the rear brakes (over
the axle) collapsed internally. Been there REAL recently... The flex
hoses are date coded. If yours is more than a few years old, replace the
flex hose.

Try to bleed at the wheel cylinders. If you get brake fluid, and the
pistons are stuck firmly in place, I would buy the rebuild kit and pull
both wheel cylinders. They come unstuck real easy since so much of the
piston sticks out of the wheel cylinder. Replace the seal in each and
reinstall to the backing plate. Pay attention to the dust boot and the
three pieces securing the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. The
assembly should slide easily.

No fluid at the wheel cylinder means the system is not happy, and the
system needs major troubleshooting...

Let's hope we don't need to go there! I'll be happy to expand if
necessary.

Good luck and keep us advised.
--
| Henry Frye                          E-mail thefryes@iconn.net |