75/76 TR6 air pumps

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 75/76 TR6 air pumps
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 08:25:07 -0600
Late TR6 owners, take note.

Being the "clean-air" TR6 models, that little device known as a
smog/air pump can be a bit pricey from many TR part suppliers.
Before someone says, why not just remove it, I cannot register
my car in Colorado without my air pump.  I'm of the opinion that
this kind of legislation is soon to follow in other states besides
Colorado and California.  (you know, it's kind of funny.  I can
run a car with no brake pads whatsoever, but if I don't have
a smog pump, I'm not allowed to drive my car... Go figure...)

I began searching for a replacement pump, tring to find ANY pump that
would fit into the cast iron bracket on the car.  I found a place
that allowed me to look through their stock, but I didn't find a
suitable replacement.  The next store decided they would order a TR7
airpump (no listing for the TR6) to see if that would fit.  It's
almost an EXACT match of the original pump.  The case is the same,
and many of the stamped numbers are identical.  I mention this
because I was able to pick up this air-pump for a mear $59 from my
local parts store.  That a far cry from the $250 that VB wants.
AND mine has a LIFETIME WARANTEE!  If you a stickler for original
equipment, I think you'd be happy with a TR7 air pump on your TR6.

Now if my engine was done, I'd have a place to mount it.  :-)
Can someone tell me the belt size/length for the air pump?

Cheers,

-Scotty '75TR6 - with air pump!