Re: Fuel Tank

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 30 Apr 97 9:36:15
Bob Paul wrote:

< >I said:   What about etching and sealing?
 >He said:  People who have that done keep me in business!

 Like him, I've made a lot of money repairing the same damage.

I guess I missed part of this thread, but since the tank is out of the TR 2
it got my attention.  I bought some  gas tank sealer from one of the
suppliers.  Is that the sealer referred to here?<<

It seems to me that this thread is taking some funny turns, mostly because itıs
predicated on the assumption that all sealing systems are the same.  I donıt
believe they are.  If, for instance, one is referring to the Eastwood system,
it uses a compound called methyl ethyl ketone (donıt breathe it) as the final
step in a three-step system of etching, rinsing and sealing.  I used the system
recently on a tank, and while I canıt vouch for its longevity, I will say that
not only was all the rust removed from said tank, when the tank was also
significantly contorted  (squashed, sort of)  in a bizarre incident,  a look
inside revealed no breaks or cracks in the white sealer coating at all.   The
coating was completely intact despite the tankıs having been crumpled like an
old milk carton.  For what itıs worth ...

--
Martin Secrest