New Idea (?) for Topping up the Diff & Gearbox

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Idea (?) for Topping up the Diff & Gearbox
From: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:54:59 -0400 (EDT)
So, it's close to 20C yesterday, and I figure that I have the time, so
last night, I get out in the garage and start the prep work to get Beverly
('73 Spitfire) back on the road.

I have another look for the diff filler plug, which I've never, in two
years, been able to find, and lo & behold, there it is!  I'm pretty sure
that it wasn't there before, and this winter, my diff needed some more
gear oil, so it grew a hole & plug.  Anyways, I try to figure the best way
to go about topping it up.

I remember filling the gearbox two different ways- from underneath, which
is a b*tch [forcing the fluid up the 1/4" tubing attached to my filler
bottle while lying on my back- no lift- ;-( ], and pulling off the
clutch/gearbox tunnel housing, and pumping it in from the passenger side,
which is still a drag, because that doesn't make the tube any wider, or
the fluid any more viscous!  Also, I can't see any way to get at the new
;-) diff plug from the top.

Anyways, I have this idea, which I tried last night, and I'm wondering if
anyone else has tried it, or come up with an easier way to accomplish the
task.

I poke a pinhole in the gearoil bottle at the top (above the level of the
fluid) and push in a sports attachment for my tire pump (the little pin to
fill a football, etc).  I place the tube in the diff filler hole, and give
the pump a few small squeezes, until I see the oil moving up the tube.  I
pump. regularly enough to keep the flow going, but not so fast as to split
the sides of the bottle.  A few minutes later, I see oil coming from the
hole (I'm full) and I pull the needle from the bottle- releasing the
pressure (You see why it's important that the hole be above the fluid
here) and stopping the flow.  Replace the plug, and move to the gearbox.

No more cramping hands from squeezing the bottle for 10-15 minutes!

Have I just re-invented the wheel, or is this a solution to a problem that
anyone else has also felt?

--
David Brock                       dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca