To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: >Re: OD wires question (switches)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:44:02 -0700
>as far as the switching is concerned, you are switching the
>negative, not the positive
Just a little clarification here - Switches, unless they are semiconductor,
(but for the purpose of this discussion we'll confine these to the purely
mechanical type) don't care which way the current flows through them ( pos
or neg ).  They are merely a break in the flow.  Since the 'negative' is
already at chassis ground then all the _breaks_ (not brakes) or switches are
inserted between the 'positive' lead(s) and the earth ground (assuming a
negative ground (or earth) system).  The switch can be either before, or
after the relay (or light or whatever).  It doesn't really matter to the
device being switched.  Just because the switch is connected to the frame or
ground after the switched device doesn't mean your switching the negative
lead.  Actually, I guess it depends on where one determines the switchover
point I consider any "lead' coming from the positive side of the battery to
be a positive lead until it contacts the frame or earth ground - however as
I stated earlier, the switch doesn't care :-)

(donning flame retardant suit, fire extinguisher at the ready!)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)