Re: Spitfire Revival

To: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Revival
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:05:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Townsend wrote:

> I recently purchased my second Spitfire, a 1976 with 68,000 original miles
> from the original owner. The car is complete with the factory hardtop and
> accessories.
>
> The trick is that it was stored in a garage since 1984 (New England). The
> owner didn't prep it well for storage (not knowing much about these cars).
> A little oil in the right places and a pull and flush of the fuel tank,
> replacement of all of the hoses and she runs beautiful.
>
> I gave it a complete and thorough tune-up to get her road ready, as well as
> welding in a new section of rear frame.
>
> I am looking for advice as to the best way to tackle the suspension. The
> car has a fair share of dry rot on the bushings and the suspension, though
> it handles well, could use some work.
>
> I don't anticipate auto-crossing her (as I tried with my former '77), but
> would like her to handle well.
>
> Also, anything I should expect from her sitting in storage so long?
>
> I appreciate any comments!
>
> Mark Townsend
> Returning Spitfire Enthusiast!
> * Mark Townsend  *
> * markt@tiac.net *

   The single, one thing I did to my suspension that provided the most
dramatic, grin producing feedback, was when I installed a 1" front
anti-sway bar (replacing the stock 3/4" one). I can't recall the brand
name, but they're the ones you always see advertised in the "big three"
catalogs.

Rick '74 Spitfire