Re: FW: Wanted: TR6 Grill

To: vadim@vadim.com
Subject: Re: FW: Wanted: TR6 Grill
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 14:45:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

--------------305D6ED92600

>      Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:47:12 -0700
>      From: Vadim Akselrod <vadim@vadim.com>
>      Subject: Wanted: TR6 Grill
>
> Hi folks,
>
> With summer quickly approaching, the after-market small-holed grill that
> the PO had installed on my '73 TR6 is causing it to run hotter than I would
> like.  Does anyone have a spare stock grill that they would not mind
> parting with?  I don't really feel like forking over what TRF is asking...
> Thanks!

Vadim,

  I don't happen to have a spare grill, but I seem to recall
that these still available from any of the "big three" parts
vendors.  (See attachment for vendor contact info.)  This is
part 821295 on cars after CF1 commision number, and runs
about $150-$200.   However, the plastic grille doesn't rust,
so it should be available from somebody with a parts car.
Note that the cloisonne "TR6" emblem that goes on the grill
is also very pricey new. (~$75.00)

  However, the problems may not be just the grill.  There
is also a radiator "shroud" which channels the air from
the long/narrow TR6 grill into the radiator.  This is
also available from the major parts vendors, and is not
too expensive.  In my experience, this makes a big
difference in the TR6 cooling system.  If you don't mind the
non-standard grille's appearance, you may want to try this
first, as you'll need it with the stock grille anyway.

  Also, if the cooling system hasn't been back-flushed
in the past couple of years, this would be well worth
your while.  A standard flush-and-fill kit fits nicely
in the heater hoses.

--ken
'70/'74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |

--------------305D6ED92600

-------------------------------

Re: finding Triumph parts...

For parts, I would suggest first contacting one of the "big three"
Triumph parts vendors:

        The Roadster Factory (aka TRF)
        PO Box 332
        Armagh PA  15920
        800-678-8764
        Level One (you know the part numbers)  800-678-8764
        Level Two (you need help with part numbers)  800-234-1104
        Tech. Research (answers to your problems)  814-446-4491
        Customer Service (after you've received the part)  814-446-4495
        Order Fax (24 hours)  814-446-6729

        Moss Motors
        PO Box MG
        7200 Hollister Avenue
        Goleta, CA 93116
        Orders: 800-235-6954 Outside CA (except Alaska)
                800-322-6985 CA only
        Info:   805-968-1041
                    963-0741

        Victoria British (aka Vickie Brit, aka Sunbeam Spares)
        PO Box 14991
        11567 W 83rd Terrace
        Lenexa, KS 66215
        Orders: 800-255-0088
        913 541-8500

Also, there are three ways a VTR Membership will help in acquiring
parts for a Triumph:

        * Access to the VTR Consultant on your model of Triumph.

        * Access to the VTR National magazine's classified ads (both
          advertising for parts that you need, and seeing ads for
          parts for sale.)

        * Links to other Triumph enthusiasts who may have parts,
          particularly via local chapters.  (see
          http://www.vtr.org/chapters.html for more info on the chapter
          nearest to you...)

--------------305D6ED92600--