TR2 rear brakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2 rear brakes
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:26:32 +0100
       Those of you good enough to respond to the problems regarding my
Lockheed rear axle, i.e half shaft end play and drum problems might be
interested to know that when re-built it was supplied with the brake back
plates on the wrong side of the wheel bearing housing, hence the endplay
and problems with the brake shoe fitment. I had to pull the hub, which was
easy enough as it was a new shaft and had only been put together a month
before, then put the back plate on followed by the hub. The hub required a
little help from a block of wood and a lump hammer on one side, but slid
back into place on the other. Is this un-usual?? Is it allowed to apply a
little force to the hub to get it back in place ??. I could not torque up
the hub nut (my wrench does not have the range) so I tightened it to what I
felt was the tension it was under when I removed it, then moved to the
nearest hole in the shaft and fitted the split pin, How essential is the
torque setting??, will I get away with this method?? or is trouble around
the corner. Finally once all was corrected I re-fitted the brake shoes and
drums. The problem encountered here, was one side, when the drum was fitted
in place it would turn fine but once the locating screws were fitted to the
drum the whole thing locked up solid. I have filed the ends of the brake
shoes but this made no difference. The other side is fine and the shoes I
fitted were an axle set and the inside of the drum is quite good, i.e
little scoring. Anybody come across this problem, or have any ideas??

John Gillis  1954 TR2 (ground up)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.