Re: Replacing Diff Seals...

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Diff Seals...
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:03:32 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I am in the process of having a shop repair a torn right
> front diff mount, and think it may make a lot of sense to
> put new seals in the diff while it's out to allow the
> mount to be repaired, since the diff leaks oil pretty
> well (admittedly this has helped keep the rear section
> of the car amazingly rust free, but it's a pain having
> to top it off with aromatic new GL5 80W90 on a regular
> basis!)
>
>   What is involved with replacing the seals for the diff?
> I would like to replace the seals on the input shaft
> (is this the "pinion seal"?) and both output (axle)
> shafts.  How difficult is this job compared to say,
> replacing the rear axle U-joints, assuming that the
> diff is already out of the car?

> --ken
> '70/'74 TR6 Daily Drivers
----------------------------
Ken

Just been there and done that. First get the rear diff out of the car to
work on.

The pinion oil seal is fairly easy just remove the safety wire and
remove the nut and washer (a half inch impact wrench is very helful
through all of this). Tap of the driveshaft companion flange, lever out
the seal and replace using a suitable driver (pipe/flat plate). If you
get a felt seal as a replacement it should be soaked in oil for as long
as you can afford before assy. I would look for a replacement that is a
rubber lipped seal. Just got mine from Special Interest.

The axle seals @ the diff present a problem. Depending on the year you
might have a torque retaining nut or a castle nut and cotter pin. remove
the nuts from both sides. If both axle flanges "tap" off they will
uncover the seal assy. Remove the seal and install the new.

Problem is out of three TR6 diffs I had only one come off by tapping and
one required heat and lots of force. Just did two last night and the
process was fairly simple. Remove the nuts, remove the four 5/16" bolts
from the seal plate on each side. Withdraw the assembly from the diff
housing. What you will end up with is a left and right assy with a short
splined axle shaft, bearing, seal plate and flange. Take these
assemblies to nothing less that a 25 ton press and set up using a
bearing splitter to support under the flange. Push with the press on the
end of the shaft nearest the flange. If all goes well the shaft should
pop out. It will go off like a cannon shot so expect lots of noise. Also
place a trash can under the press or you'll either wreck the shaft when
it hits the floor or put a hole in the floor.

Have fun

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's