Re: GL5 vs GL4

To: Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: GL5 vs GL4
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:25:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

WRT to Barry Schwartz's comments about GL4/GL5...

I'm not going to take odds with your comments, but I have read that other
manufacturers, such as VW, use special lubes that are not GL5. Further, I
believe this is specifically because the GL5 lube causes premature wear
on some parts.

That issue aside, the Red Line synthetic is recommended by a lot of
folks, so that would be a good choice.

I have been using GL5 in my TR6 because it leaks too much to put
expensive Red Line MTL... I think I wrecked a bearing because I
apparently ran it dry. I should have been suspicious when the number of
oil spots on the garage floor diminished! When I take it apart I
should be able to figure out if the GL5 is causing any undue wear.

Now, where is Dick Burger's e-mail address...... gotta get the "spare"
back together.

As for slippery oil and O/D units, Mr. Ken Gillanders of British Frame
and Engine seems to suggest that 20/50 Racing oil is appropriate for big
TR's with O/D.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Just a few.