Re: Monza

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Monza
From: "Kevin D. O'Connor" <oconnor@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:09:45 +0000
Regarding the Monza exhaust, the system I fitted to my '71 TR6 was the
"single-pipe" version.  It is connected to a 6-1 header.  The problems
I had were the exhaust tips not sticking out far enough from the rear
of the car.  This lead to exhuast fouling of the rear valence, a real
pain in the arse to keep clean.

The sound was loud "girgle", and I didn't like it much.  A short-term
fix was to convert the monza to a one-muffler set-up, extending just
past the rear bumper.  When I had the money to spend, I thought I'd
take it to a muffler shop for a custom system.  That was three or four
years ago, as my temporary system is still working very well.

The sound of my "single-monza" is still louder than stock, but much
more pleasing than my 2-muffler monza system.  I've driven the car for
more than an hour on the highway at a time with no extra stress.  And
I don't have a radio in the car.

Finally, I must admit that I like the look of two pipes under the
bumper much better than the look of four pipes.  It's not a V12, after
all.

Sincerely,
Kevin D. O'Connor