RE: Airbrushes

To: d.wilson@asu.edu
Subject: RE: Airbrushes
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 97 7:29:26 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dennis,

Hobby style airbrushes are probably not a good idea for shooting
automotive paint. There are two basic types of airbrushes, double
and single action. Double action allow active control of both air
and paint flow and should only be used with artist's watercolors.
Single action brushes allow active control of only the air flow,
paint flow is set by turning the nozzle. Some single action brushes
may not be compatable with lacquers/enamels because the solvents
attack the seals. Most hobby airbrshes have small paint cups and
flow relatively little air so you don't get very good coverage
and have to fill up the paint cups alot. Been there, done that.

What you probably want is what is called a touch-up gun. It is
a smaller version of an automotive paint gun but has a decent sized
cup and can flow enough air to move the heavier paint. Its bigger
than a hobby gun but a lot smaller and more maneuverable than a
big production gun. I have one that I got at aswap meet for about
$20 and it works well. Its an offshore copy of a Binks gun and
it takes Binks replacement seals and parts.

When I took airbush in college my term project was a 20"x30" full
color cutaway of a Ferrari 312 F1 car, took me almost 2 semesters.
Have thought about doing a nice cutaway of a TR2 but I don't have
a spare 200 hours right now, although I have good reference in the
garage.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.