TR-31 - Setting valve clearances made (somewhat) easy

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-31 - Setting valve clearances made (somewhat) easy
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:48:01 -0700 (PDT)
Practice makes perfect.  By the time I got my valve clearances set, I'd
come up with a fairly easy method.  Critiques welcome.

1. Remove valve cover and slacken fan belt.

2. Push down on left blade of fan until valves on cylinders 1 and 4 or 2
and 3 are both closed.
3. Note which pair alternately open and close when you move the fan blade
up and down just a bit.  The other pair are the ones to adjust now.

4. Get a big screw driver with a blade as thick as the groove in the
adjusting screw.

5. Slacken the lock nut atop one of the rockers and run both the screw and
nut through their entire travel to loosen things up.

6. Put the (.010 inch) feeler in place and adjust set screw with your
fingers.  Turn the lock nut finger tight as well.

7. Put a box wrench on the lock nut and the screw driver in place.  Hold
the driver steady (with your strong hand) and tighten with the wrench till
you encounter noticeable resistance.

8.  Finish tightening with a socket wrench as you see fit. *Usually* the
set screw won't move.

or

8.  Tighten to between 12 and 15 foot pounds with a torque wrench.

9.  Recheck and do the other valve.

10.  Rotate the fan blades one half turn; now the opposite pair of
cylinders will have both valves closed.

11. Return to step three and repeat the sequence for three remaining
cylinders.

12.  Button up.

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/