Re: Radials or bias

To: Paulpop@ssnet.com
Subject: Re: Radials or bias
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:35:11 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 Paulpop@ssnet.com wrote:

> This thread may have already existed but I ask anyway ... I may need new
> tires soon on my '57 TR3 small mouth ... originals were not radials
> obviously.  Is there any reason not to put radials on it now, save the
> reduction in originality?  Comments appreciated

Radials were an option on the TR3; back then they were usually the
Michelin "X", size 155 x 15.

I suppose, in a "cutthroat" Concours event, the TR3 with that size of
Michelin (and the correct speedometer to correspond with same) might beat
out an otherwise equally original car sporting more modern radials. Beyond
that, though, there's no reason I can think of NOT to use radials.

BTW, that original Michelin "X" 155 x 15 is available again, although I've
not yet seen a listing for that particular tire in the 165 x 15 size.
There are radials available in 165 from Dunlop, Michelin (XZX tread), Avon
and perhaps other companies.

--Andy