Re: TR4 front end rebuild (long)

To: Adrian Jefferies <asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 front end rebuild (long)
From: Zink <Tiger245@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:59:18 -0500
Cc: triumph cars list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Adrian Jefferies wrote:

> The only thing I've got wrong is(are?) the bearings - I can probably get the
>race
> cages which are pressed into the hub out (via screwdriver & hammer), but I
>wasnt
> sure I could put the new ones in without scoring or bending them. I dont have
> big enough socket

Adrian,

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use a screw driver to drive out your bearing
races.  Screw drivers are meant to remove screws not act as drift
punches.  Purchase a 10" drift punch to do the job. For a couple of quid
you have the right tool.  Re-use your old race to set your new race into
your hub.  Who cares if it gets banged up, it's trash anyway.  After you
get the new race set you can drive the old race out with your newly
aquired drift punch. This saves wear and tear on expensive sockets.
There may be other methods but IMHO this is the least expensive and most
forth right way.  Been working for me for almost 30 years.(God I feel
old saying that)

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire 4
1966 Ford T-Bird
1973 Yamaha TX 750(getting an engine rebuild)
1983 GMC C2500 (new engine on the stand)
1987 GMC S-15 (New engine in)
1989 Chevy Astro(175k on original engine)
1995 Geo Traker
1996 Chevy conversion van