overrunning and other engine problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: overrunning and other engine problems
From: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:49:06 +0000
Dear list,

I wonder if you could provide me with a few pointers. My 1500 Dolomite engine
(Stromberg carbs) has a few
embarrassing quirks which may be connected, let me explain:

1, It occasionally overruns for a second or two. This isn't as bad as my Mini
was (you could switch off and be half
way up the car park by the time it decided to stop running) so is there
anything I can check before embarking on a
decoke. The plug deposits and exhaust outlet look just the right colour.

2, The car starts fine in the morning but is reluctant to pull off. It needs
quite a lot of choke to get the revs up. These
stay high, but when I try to pull away they may die and stall.

3, The accelerator has a very slight sticking point.

Thank you, as ever, for your thoughts.

Ben
'69 Herald (ex)1200