Re: FW: Help - TR3/4 TRanny removal

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: Help - TR3/4 TRanny removal
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 07:47:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> concave flywheel of the TR3)  Technically, this looks pretty simple, but
> my manuals (Haynes&TR2 Service manual) seem to indicate that the gearbox
> comes out leaving the clutch and flywheel.  Is this right and what lies
> ahead for me in removing them.

        Yes this is right... The longest part of pulling the tranny(if you
        plan to leave the engine in the car is getting everything out of
        the interior. I have (with help) pulled the tranny, done an
        emergency rebuild and reinstalled the whole mess in a bout 8 hours.

> Also, assuming my clutch is in less than excellent condition (most
> likely) it should be replaced as long as I am in there, so how difficult
> is it to replace the clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing.

        not too difficult, though I'd pull the flywheel and have it
        resurfaced... I would also replace or turn the pins on the clutch
        release fork... Oh yes, replace the Tape pin on the fork as well.
        These can break off in the shaft and are a B*tch to drill out and
        retap...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois