RE: Front Wheel Bearing Oil Seal Woes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Front Wheel Bearing Oil Seal Woes
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 05:50:07 -0600
Michael:

I encountered the exact same problem a month or so ago.  I ordered the
first seat of seals from VB.  These seals could be inserted in the hub, but
the felt was so thick that it took a huge amount of torque to get the nut
on far enough to insert the cotter pin.  In fact, once I had the hubs on it
took a pry bar inserted between the lugs of the wheel just to turn it.

Next, I ordered seals from TRF.  While the felt on these was not nearly so
thick the metal casing for the felt was too large to be inserted in the
hubs.  I then bombed the list.  The majority of the responses I got were
that I was either doing something wrong or I had a none standard set of hubs.

Finally, I took the seals I got from TRF and carefully ground the outside
diameter of the metal down until I could get them inserted into the hubs.
I'm not happy about this, but I didn't know what else to do at the time.

If I had it to do again I would probably try taking the felt from the TRF
seals I use it with the metal casings from VB.

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but in a way I'm also glad because it
confirms that there is a part problem with these seals.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire