TR2 brake springs, again

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2 brake springs, again
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:12:24 +0100
Thanks for the few answer's I received regarding the problem of locating
the correct holes in the shoes for the brake return springs. I did find
those photographs in the workshop manual, as suggested and tried this but
no matter what combination I used the springs were too long and did not
hold the shoes against the cylinder and the abutment plate . The brakes are
the early 9" rear on the Lockheed axle. I bought two sets of springs and
both gave the same problem. In the Moss catalogue, the listing for the 9"
and 10" brakes seem to suggest the use of the same springs, seems strange
to me??. So where have I gone wrong?? If someone has easy access to brakes
like this I would be grateful if they could give me the following
dimensions. The length of : the wheel cylinder, the abutment plate and the
return springs. Hopefully this will give me some idea which one is causing
the problem. The reason I am not sure if I am using the correct parts is I
received the wheel cylinders as new parts with the car when I bought it and
when the axle was being re-built I had the back plates changed to 9" as
someone had fitted 10", which was wrong for the year. I already had 9"
drums (came as spare parts with the car), and I re-used the butment plates
from the 10" brakes. Please help I'm going mad with this one!!!!!!!!

John Gillis  1954 TR2 (ground up)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.