Re: Cellulose???What is it???<334BBEFD.76C1@bellsouth.net>

To: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Cellulose???What is it???<334BBEFD.76C1@bellsouth.net>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:42:34 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "Paul A. Carson" <pcarson@lcfh.demon.co.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>Paul
>I don't know what the Limey's are calling cellouse. As you may know
>cellouse is a wood derived product.

>> I visited the friendly PartCo (UK) motor factors today to talk paint.  When
>> I said that I wanted acrylic enamel, I was answered back with, "So you want
>> two-pack?"  Not, I explained. I then tried to explain that in the US, you
>> can get lacquer, acrylic enamel and two-pack.  I was answered with, "You
>> have two choices...two-pack and cellulose".
>>
>> My question for the list, (Help Richard Jackson and others) is..."Cellulose
>> is the same as __________".  Will I have compatability problems with my
>> acrylic enamel?
>>
>> I've been a Yank in the UK for over a year and the language barrier still
>> raises its ugly head occasionally.

Right, what we Limey's call cellulose is paint that is basically mixed with
thinners, sprayed on the car, the thinners evaporates(D'ya remember that stuff
Califf residents!! :-)) and leaves the paint behind.  2 Pack is paint that is
mixed with a hardener or activator, it is then sprayed on, a chemical reaction
takes place, and the paint goes hard.  Cellulose is what these cars were
originally paint with I think, 2 pack is what is used on modern cars and in
most bodyshops(That isn't a UK term for a brothel :-)), cellulose is more DIY
friendly than 2 pack which is supposed to be spray only by someone wearing an
air-fed respirator, etc.  Although saying that I sprayed my A40 with 2 pack and
I'm still breathing(just), I put the ocassional bouts of breathlessness down to
being fat! :-)

Hope that helps

Rich

ps, Paul, now you realise why we keep poaching Calif Cars eh!!! :-)