Re: TR 3B Clutch

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR 3B Clutch
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:27:30 -0400
Henry,

Among other things, you wrote:

> The clutch does use a flex pipe. If it suffered an internal collapse, I
> would think the symptoms would be similar, but not the pumping up
> action.
>
> So, what do you think?

   I came up with an idea, but I may be wrong, after all I am only
going by a desciption. So bear with me...(and with my description):

  I think that the flex pipe IS responsible.  It might be acting as a
one-way valve, allowing you to "pump up" the slave cylinder, all the way
to full clutch dis-engagement.  This full dis-engagement might be the
reason that you can not depress the pedal any more, the slave can not
move the yoke/throwout bearing any futher.  With the flex pipe act-
ing as a slow-release-one-way-valve, every time you depress the pedal
(during you "pump-up" cycle), you slowly ratchet-extend the slave cylinder
until it stops (is pumped up all the way), fully extended to the point
of no travel.  Then as you rest, the fluid slowly drains back into the
master cylinder.

  I hope you have at least rebuilt all the hydraulic systems on this car,
as it has been sitting for so long.  I would take off the fex pipe, and
see if fliud flows FROM the slave cyliner TO the master cylinder easily.

    Let me/us know what you find,

                                  JOE IV
                                  TR 250
                            WALLINGFORD, CT. USA