Re: TRF Car Club

To: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Subject: Re: TRF Car Club
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 08:11:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Glenn Franco wrote:

> I hate to bring this up again and really don't wan't to the why's
> of Charles getting in over his head but, I'm kind of on the fence
> on this TRF Car Club. Would like to continue to support TRF, I
> enjoy their Summer Parties, their tech line is great, but I'm not
> clear on what the 100 bucks buys me.

I joined the TRF Car Club.  Why?

As I see it, I plan to keep my TR6 for a long time, and have
driven it over 10,000 miles in the past two years.  I'll need
at least $100 in parts each year, so I'll always get my
membership fee back the next year in the form of a parts
credit.  (Until the last year, but that would hopefully be at
my death -- maybe the membership would be transferable to my
family, who would hopefully keep the TR6!)  So, with this
logic, what it really costs me to belong to the TRF Car Club
is the annual interest on my $100 membership, probably no more
than about $10.00 per year.

Well, I needed to place an order to TRF before their parts
sale was finished, to get the parts I needed for minor spring
TR6 projects.  Since the order was $190 without the membership
fee, this would have cost me $12.90 in shipping, but shipping
was free for orders in March by TRF car club members.  So,
with this one order, I've "saved" $12.90 for this year.

(Personally, I'd like to see free shipping on one order per
month be a perk of the TRF car club, as this would definitely
encourage me to place more regular orders, which would help TRF
with cash flow -- I assume that this is the intent of the
various free offers each month.)

What are the other perks in 97?  Here's a list, for those
who haven't got the brochure yet, plus whether I personally
would use it or not...

Apr - $75 off Robbins Conv Top. - Have spare already.
May - $25 off order over $100   - I'll use this, as I'll have
                                  worn something out on my
                                  TR6 by then (daily driver)
Jun - Free T-Shirt w/$50 order  - Maybe, but I've got a lot
                                  of T-shirts already
Jul - 35% off BJoints/Trun/TRod - Probably pass, unless I
                                  want spare set for shelf
Aug - Summer Party discounts    - Pass, I'll be going to VTR National
                                  in Ft. Worth, and can't afford that
                                  much vacation!
Sep - 35% off Car Cover         - Pass, factory seconds (exc!) avail
                                  direct from Covercraft for $47.50
Oct - 25% off B&B Clutch        - Maybe, but would be for shelf
Nov - Free Beer Mug w/$50 order - Pass, no room left for more mugs
Dec - 25% off SS Exhaust        - Pass, got one already
Jan98 - Free Shipping           - Maybe, but probably wait 'til
                                  Feb, since my car will be off road
Feb - 5% bonus discount         - Definite yes, since during winter
                                  parts sale

So, with one or two more TRF orders during the year, I'll
probably receive another $30 or $40 in otherwise unavailable
discounts.  There will probably also be later surprises that
I'll end up using, too.

For me, I felt it was a wise "investment," (gosh, I sound
like a politician using that word) plus I like the commitment
that Charles has to Triumph enthusiasts.

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver, once this salt gets washed off the roads!

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |