Re: TR6 rocker arms & S.I.P.ever

To: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 rocker arms & S.I.P.ever
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:22:26 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James Sudduth wrote:

> Dear Listers:
>
> I'd like to put in a plug for British Parts Northwest and raise a warning
> flag about possibly Bad Parts getting distributed. I recently ordered 12 new
> rocker arms and a shaft from BPNW (at a good price) and installed them in my
> '74 TR6. After a few miles I noticed the valves were too noisy so I adjusted
> them and they were still noisy. When I adjusted them again I noticed that
> they were too loose even though the feeler gauge indicated they were ok, so
> I took a look at the tips where they contact the valve stem and hoo boy - 11
> of them were big-time pitted and cupped. This was after only about 1,000
> miles. The one which wasn't pitted looked like it had been machined and
> hardened on the tip and in the bore, whereas the other 11 were just castings
> - the difference was obvious.
>
> So, to get back to BPNW, I sent the rocker arms back requesting a refund and
> they promptly made the refund and promised to look into why the rocker arms
> cupped so badly and so soon. This is excellent business practice and they
> get my recommendation which I pass on to you. These are good folks - give
> them your business.
>
> About the rocker arms - I ordered 12 new ones from TRF and got six of the
> "good" ones and six of the "bad". I have them in the car now and will
> probably be sending them back soon as the "bad" ones are already starting to
> cup after only a few hundred miles. We'll see if TRF responds as well as BPNW.
>
> It's my theory that someone somewhere is manufacturing cheap knock offs of
> these rocker arms. Besides pitting and cupping (and also wearing rapidly on
> the rocker shaft) the tips don't reach out quite as far or contact the valve
> stem as well as the better type. So beware when you buy new TR6 rocker arms
> - if they don't have an obvious machined and hardened tip and bore you've
> got some of the cheapos and will probably have trouble with them Real Soon.
-------------------------------------
Jim
I just bought the same parts this past winter from BPNW including new
valves, springs and exhaust seats. Did they admit to a bad run of
rockers? If so my TR will have bad ones also, but it'll never get any
miles on it this year. I'm just completing the chassis and drivetrain.
Just about to start on the body.

Please fill me in with the relevent details. I also have confindence in
these guys, but chances are it will take another year or so to see 1000
miles added to the odometer.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6

Just a note about backorders and lack of parts in stock. My worst parts
buying experiences have been with Special Interest (R.I.). Tried to
order their engine kit and the pistons were on eternal back order, they
sent the wrong gasket set twice, and just recently I ordered their inner
rockers which they indicated one would be on back order. The problem is
I get the wrong parts from these guys. I ordered two trailing arm jounce
bumpers and got two small bushings instead. Ordering their special
engine kit they sent me two sets of cam bearings and hit me up for more
than $50 bucks. Go figure the six never had cam bearings.

Just a little background on TRF's competetors!

Glenn