Re: stub axle removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: stub axle removal
From: jluke@unm.edu (James Luke)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:52:53 -0700 (MST)
vafred@erols.com asks about removing the stub axle from the upright:

I just did this.  The DPO hacksawed the stub axle off at the hole for the
cotter pin.  After hammering on it didnt work, I made a puller out
of a piece of 1/2" thick steel bar stock (The same one I use for my spring
compressor, a steel bar and threaded rod thing like Moss and TRF sell).
You could probably rent a puller, but this was free.  The bar has a 5/8"
hole for the threaded rod.  I drilled two 5/16" holes in the bar, about
1.5" on either side of the large center hole, so as to hit the upright
outside of the machined area.  I put 2 5/16" bolts in the 2 small holes,
with the nuts screwed down all the way, then put the large hole over the
stub axle and tightened the axle nut.  Then I turned the nuts on the bolts
until the axle popped out.  The whole thing jumped out about 2 feet.  My
description probably isnt too clear, but if you think about it you should
get the idea.  Good luck,

Jim Luke    1966 TR4A