Polyurethane or Nylatron?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Polyurethane or Nylatron?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 10:17:39 PST
All,
        I posted a question to the list some months ago
asking about the differences between polyurethane
(aka "urethane") and nylatron as used in suspension bushings
(equally applicable to steering rack, etc).

        I received no replies, so did some further research.

        Nylatron is nylon mixed with moly-disulphide which
is added to give it a slippery feel.  Apparently, the down-side
of this material is that it compresses after 10-20K miles and
never returns to its original shape, allowing a lot of free-play
into the system.  I've not heard if this is true of the urethane
bushings.

        Apparently too, regardless of choice, one should opt
for the bushing which has pressed-in brass inserts.

        I still have some outstanding questions, namely:

1) is one type quieter than the other when driving over bumps etc?
2) what are the long-term problems of urethane, does
   it compress and lose its shape like nylatron?
3) which type gives the firmer, more controlled ride?

        Thanks in advance,

        Shane Ingate